Conventional Stocks, Shari'ah Compliant Stocks. Unexpected Changes in Dividend Announcements, Cumulative Abnormal Returns.
Numerous studies have been conducted in Islamic compliant securities, and yet the debate surrounding whether these securities have a significant influence on the stock market rages on. This paper therefore examines the effects of changes in dividend announcements in respect to the conventional and Shariâ€™ah compliant stocks on Malaysian stock market returns. In addition, the investigation will be conducted based on five different economic conditions namely for the: (1) overall period (1990-2010); (2) before the Asian financial crisis (1990-1996); (3) during the Asian financial crisis (1997-1998); (4) after the Asian financial crisis (1999-2007); and (5) during the global financial crisis (2008-2010).Our findings reveal that the changes in dividend announcements of Shariâ€™ah compliant stocks had a significant effect on the Malaysian stock market returns compared to the conventional stocks for every economic condition, except for the period during the global financial crisis. The findings indicate that the Malaysian investors are more sensitive with changes in dividends of Shariâ€™ah compliant stocks rather than the conventional stocks.
Full Text : PDF
- Abdullah, N. A., Abdul Rashid, R., & Ibrahim, Y. (2004). Information Centent of Dividend Changes in an Emerging Market. International Journal of Banking and Finance, 2(1), 1-18.
- Ali, M. B., & Chowdhury, T. A. (2010). Effect of Dividend on Stock Price in Emerging Stock Market: A study on the Listed Private Commercial Banks in DSE. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 2(4), 52-64.
- Amihud, Y., & Li, K. (2005). The Declining Information Content of Dividend Announcements and the Effects of Institutional Holdings. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 1-42.
- Banker, R. D., Das, S., & Datar, S. M. (1993). Complementary of Prior Accounting Information: The Case of Stock Dividend Announcements. The Accounting Review, 68, 28-47.
- Bhana, N. (1998). The Share Price Reaction on the Johennesburg Stock Exchange for Special (Extra) Dividend Announcements. Investment Analysts Journal, 47, 5-15.
- Borde, S. F., Byrd, A. K., & Atkinson, S. M. (1999). Stock Price Reaction to Dividend increases in the Hotel and Restaurant Sector. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 40-52.
- Bujang, I. (2005). The Relevance of Gordon's Model and Earnings Multiplier Approaches in Emerging Stock Market: Test with Appropriate Refinements. Unpublished Master Thesis.
- Bujang, I., & Md Nassir, A. (2007). The Relevance of Gordon's Model and Earnings Multiplier Approaches in Emerging Stock Market: Test with Appropriate Refinements. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 140-152.
- Capstaff, J., Klaeboe, A., & Marshall, A. P. (2004). Share Price Reactions to Dividend Announcements: Empirical Evidence on the Signalling Model from the Oslo Stock Exchange. Multinational Finance Journal, 8(1 & 2), 115-139.
- Chemmanur, T. J., Jie, H., Gang, H., & Liu, H. (2010). Is Dividend Smoothing Universal? New Insights from a Comparative Study of Dividend Policies in Hong Kong and U.S. Journal of Corporate Finance, 16, 413-430.
- Grullon, G., Michaely, R., & Swaminathan, B. (2002). Are Dividend Changes a Sign of Firm Maturity? Journal of Business, 75(3), 387-424.
- Gunasekarage, A., & Power, D. M. (2006). Anomalous Evidence in Dividend Announcement Effect. Journal of Managerial Finance, 32(3), 209-226.
- Jr., C. M., & Muhammad, J. (2010). The Theoretical Impact of The Listing Of Syariah-Approved Stocks On Stock Price And Trading Volume. International Business & Economics Research Journal, Volume 9, (Number 3), 11-20.
- Karim, M. (2010). Announcement Effects of Dividend on Stock Price of Enlisted Companies in Developed Countries: A Comparative Study Between London Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/srrn.1624363.
- Lonie, A. A., Abeyratna, G., Power, D. M., & Sinclair, C. D. (1996). The Stock Market Reaction to Dividend Announcements. A UK Study of Complex Market Signals. Journal of Economic Studies, 23(1), 32-52.
- Mohamed, N. (2005). Information Signaling and Dividend Policies in Malaysia. Unpublished PHD Thesis, Universiti Putra Malaysia.
- Mohamed, N., Abdul Hamid, M. A., Md Nassir, A., & Mohamed, S. (2006). Information Content of Dividend Changes: Cash Flow Signaling, Dividend Clientele and Free Cash Flow Hypothesis. Malaysian Accounting Review, 5(1), 65-84.
- Nobanee, H., Haddad, A. E., Alshattarat, W. K., & Alshattarat, H. K. (2009). An Analysis of the Informational Content of Dividend Change Payments at Amman Stock Exchange. Journal of Middle Eastern Finance and Economics, 5, 76-91.
- Ryan, P. A., Besley, S., & Hei, W. L. (2000). An Empirical Analysis of Reactions to Dividend Policy Changes for NASDAQ Firms. Journal of Financial and Strategic Decision, 13(1).
- Sadeghi, M. (2008). Financial Performance of Shariah-Compliant Investment: Evidence from Malaysian Stock Market. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics(Issue 20), 15-26.
- Shafi, R. M. (2011). Sensitivity on Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of Shari’ah Compliant Securities in Bursa Malaysia. Academic Journal UiTM Johor, 10, 105-117.
- Sponholtz, C. (2005). Separating the Stock Market Reactions to Simultaneous Dividend and Earnings Announcements. Working Paper Series No. 212, 1-25.
- Zhong, M. A. (1999). Dividend Signalling by Insurance Companies and Price Regulation: A Reexamination. Journal of Insurance Issues, 22(2), 164-176.