Online review, review content, buying behaviour
The 21st century customer is passionate about gaining knowledge. The availability and affordability of internet has created an edge for people to connect to a social network and exchange information. It has encouraged different online activities for consumers such as blogging, chatting, gaming, and messaging. The virtual space has helped this range of people involve to share posts or online reviews more quickly. Hence it is today believed online social networks are good platform for consumers to gather information and advice. All that a consumer shares as an opinion value add to the company’s reputation. Reputation is viewed as an asset. This value can be damaged when a consumer share negative reviews. It reduces the brand image of a company that promises to deliver high-quality products.
The present study tries to fill the gap in the literature relating online product or service reviews in influencing the consumer buying behaviour. The objective of the study is to understand the parameters of review content on which consumer check online reviews before buying a product or service. To achieve the research objectives of the present study, a descriptive research design is used with primary data collection methodology through a structured questionnaire. The sample size for the study is 104. The analysis was conducted through mean, one sample t-test and correlations. The study identified that consumers view online reviews such as understanding quality of the product, product usage information, cost benefit of the product, information relevant to deals or discounts, and product information on warranty or guarantee or replacement details, Brand reputation among reviewers, Sales service availability for deciding to buy. It was observed that parameters of online review content influence the consumer’s decision to buy.
Full Text : PDF
- Arndt, J. (1967) Role of product-related conversations in the diffusion of a new product. Journal of Marketing Research 4, 291–5.
- Bickart, Barbara and Robert M. Schindler (2001), “Internet Forums as Influential Sources of Consumer Information,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 15(3), 31-40.
- Chen, Stephen (2001), “Assessing the Impact of the Internet on Brands,” Journal of Brand Management, 8(4-5), 288-295
- Cheung Christy M.K., Lei Zhu, Timothy Kwong, Gloria W.W. Chan, MoezLimayem, (2003) Online Consumer Behavior: A Review and Agenda for Future Research, 16th Bled eCommerce Conference eTransformation.
- Chris Forman and Anindya Ghose, Batia (2008). Examining the Relationship Between Reviews and Sales: The Role of Reviewer Identity Disclosure in Electronic Markets, Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 291–313.
- Dabholkar, P. 2006. “Factors Influencing Consumer Choice of a ‘Rating Web Site’: An Experimental Investigation of an Online Interactive Decision Aid,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (14:4), pp. 259-273.
- Gopinath, S., P.K. Chintagunta, S. Venkataraman. 2013. Blogs, advertising and local-market movie boxoffice performance, Management Science (Articles in Advance) 1-20.
- Hansen, T. (2005). Perspectives on Consumer Decision Making: an Integrated Approach. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 4(6), 420–437.
- J. A. Chevalier and D. Mayzlin (2006). “The effect of word of mouth on sales: Online book reviews”, Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 345-354.
- Jiang, Z., and Benbasat, I. 2007. “Investigating the Influence of the Functional Mechanisms of Online Product Presentations,” Information Systems Research (18:4), pp. 221-244.
- Kumar, N., and Benbasat, I. 2006. “The Influence of Recommendations on Consumer Reviews on Evaluations of Websites,” Information Systems Research (17:4), pp. 425-439.
- Liu, Y. 2006. Word-of-mouth for movies: Its dynamics and impact on box office revenue. Journal of Marketing 70(3) 74-89.
- Luca, Michael, Georgios Zervas. 2015. Fake it till you make it: Reputation, competition, and yelp review fraud. Management Science, Forthcoming.
- Mudambi&Schuff (2010). Consumer Reviews on Amazon.com, MIS Quarterly Vol. 34 No. 1, pp. 185-2000.
- N. Hu, L. Liu, and J. Zhang (2008). “Do online reviews affect product sales? The role of reviewer characteristics and temporal effects”, Information Technology & Management, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 201-214.
- Nga N. Ho-Dac, Stephen J. Carson, and William L. Moore (2013). The effects of positive and negative online customer reviews: do brand strength and category maturity matter? Journal of Marketing, American Marketing Association, preprint version.
- P. Chatterjee, (2000). “Online reviews: Do consumers use them?”, Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 129-133
- P. J. Sher and S. Lee, (2009). “Consumer skepticism and online reviews: An elaboration likelihood model perspective”, Social Behavior and Personality, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 137-144.
- P. Resnick, R. Zeckhauser, E. Friedman, K. Kuwabara (2000). “Reputation systems” Communications of the ACM, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 45-48.
- Pride, W. M., Ferrell, O. C. (2007). Foundations of Marketing (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Houghton Miffin Company.
- Riegner C, (2007). Word of mouth on the web: The impact of web 2.0 on consumer purchase decisions, Journal of advertising research. VOL 47(4). 436-447.
- Shih Yung Chou (2012). Online Reviews and Pre-Purchase Cognitive Dissonance: A Theoretical Framework and Research Propositions, Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences, VOL. 3, NO. 2.
- Sonnier, G.P., L. McAlister, O.J. Rutz, (2011). A dynamic model of the effect of online communications on firm sales. Marketing Science 30(4) 702-716.
- Y. Chen and J. Xie (2008). “Online consumer review: wordof-mouth as a new element of marketing communication mix”, Management Science, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 477-491.
- Zan Mo, Yan-Fei Li, Peng Fan (2015). Effect of Online Reviews on Consumer Purchase Behaviour, Journal of Service Science and Management, Vol: 8, 419-424.