burnout, organizational commitment, turnover intention
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of burnout and organizational commitment on turnover intentions. The respondents in this study were auditors of the Audit Board of Republic of Indonesia (BPK) and The Finance and Development Supervisory Agency (BPKP). This study used convenience sampling method; the number of samples used in this study amounted to 326 auditors, consisting of 194 BPK auditors and 132 BPKP auditors. The methods used in data collection were the primary method of data collection, using questionnaires filled out directly by the survey respondents, while the data processing methods used was multiple linear regressions analysis. The result showed that burnout had positive effect on auditor turnover intention and organizational commitment had negative effect on auditor turnover intention.
Full Text : PDF
- Burke, Ronald J. (1987). Burnout in Police Work: An Examination of the Cherniss Model. Group and Organization Studies, 12 (2): 174-188
- Goodman, Eric A. and R. Wayne Boss. (2002). The Phase Model of Burnout and Employee Turnover. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 25 (1): 33-47
- Herda, David N. (2012). Auditors’ Relationship with Their Accounting Firm and Its Effect on Burnout, Turnover Intention, and Post-Employment Citizenship. Current Issues in Auditing, 6 (2): 13-17
- Hollingworth, David and Sean Valentine. (2014). Corporate Social Responsibility, Continuous Process Improvement Orientation, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intentions. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 31 (6): 629-651
- Hudaib, Muhammad and TE, Cooke. (2005). The Impact of Managing Director changes and Financial Distress on Audit Qualification and Auditor Switching. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 32 (9 & 10): 1703-1739
- Lin, QH, Jiang, CQ and Lam TH. (2013). The Relationship bbetween Occupational Stress, Burnout, and Turnover Intention among Managerial Staff from a Sino-Japanese Joint Venture in Guangzhou, China. Journal of Occupational Health, 55 (6): 458-467
- Mansor, Nurul Akma. (2012). The Effects of Job Satisfaction, Burnout and Organizational Culture on Auditor’s Turnover Intention. Dissertation, Shah Alam: Universiti Teknologi Mara. Retrieved from: http://www.proquest.com
- Maslach, Christina and Susan E Jackson. (1981). The Measurement of Experienced Burnout. Journal of Occupational Behavior, 2 (2): 99-113
- Maslach, Christina., Leiter, Michael P., and Schaufeli, Wilmar. (2008). The Oxford Handbook of Organizational Wellbeing, Chapter 5: Measuring Burnout. New York: Oxford University Press
- Meyer, John P. and Allen, Natalie J. (1991). A Three-Component Conceptualization of Organizational Commitment. Human Resouces Management Review, 1 (1): 61-89
- Moynihan, Donald P. and Pandey, Sanjay K. (2007). The Ties That Blind: Social Networks, Person-Organization Value Fit, and Turnover Intention. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 18: 205-227
- Newstrom, Jhon W. (2011). Organizational Behavior. New York: McGraw Hill
- Pines, A., & Aronson, E. (1988). Career burnout: Causes and cures. New York: Free Press.
- Porter, Lyman W., Richard M. Steers and Paul V. Boulian. (1974). Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction and Turnover aamong Psychiatric Technicians. Journal of Applied Psychology, 59 (5): 603-609
- Robbins, Stephen P. and Timothy A. Judge. (2015). Organizational Behavior. New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.
- Schwepker Jr, Charles H. 1999. The Relationship between Ethical Conflict, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intentions in the Salesforce. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 19 (1): 43-49
- Sow, Mouhamadou Thile, (2015). Relationship Bebween Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intentions aamong Healthcare Internal Auditors. Dissertation, Minnesota: Walden University. Retrieved from: http://www.proquest.com
- Suwandi and Indriantoro, Nur. (1999). The Testing of Pasewark and Strawser Turnover Models, Empirical Studies in the Environment of Public Accountants <Pengujian Model Turnover Pasewark dan Strawser, Studi Empiris pada Lingkungan Akuntan Publik>. Jurnal Riset Akuntansi Indonesia, 2 (2): 173-195
- Utami, Intiyas and Bonussyeani, Nur ES. (2009). The Effect of Job Insecurity, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment to Turnover Intention <Pengaruh Job Insecurity, Kepuasan Kerja, dan Komitmen Organisasional terhadap Keinginan Berpindah>. Jurnal Akuntansi dan Keuangan Indonesia. 6 (1): 117-139
- Zeffane, Rashid. (1994). Understanding employee Turnover: The Need for a Contigency Approach. International Journal of Manpower, 15 (9/10): 22-37