Fashion goods retailers, corporate social responsibility
This paper offers an exploratory review of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) issues currently being publicly addressed by the worldâ€™s leading fashion goods retailers. The paper begins with a short discussion of the origins and characteristics of CSR and a thumbnail sketch of the fashion goods industry. The empirical information for the paper is drawn from the CSR information posted on the Internet by the worldâ€™s top ten fashion goods retailers. The findings reveal that while all the top ten fashion goods retailers publicly provide information on the impacts their businesses have in the marketplace, on the environment, on their workforce and on the communities in which they operate there was considerable variation in the extent of that information. More generally the paper offers some reflections on the CSR agendas being pursued by the worldâ€™s leading fashion goods retailers.
Full Text : PDF
- Brown, T. J. and Dacin, P. A. (1997), ‘The Company and Product: Corporate Associations and Consumer Product Responses’, Journal of Marketing, Vol.61 No.1, pp.68-84.
- Crewe, L. (2008) ‘Ugly Beautiful? Counting the cost of the global fashion industry’, Geography, Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 25-33.
- CSR Europe (2009) ‘Trends and Best Practice in Online Reporting CSR/Sustainability Reporting’, http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sustainable-business/corporate-social-responsibility/reportingdisclosure/swedishpresidency/files/surveys_and_reports/trends_and_best_practice_in_online_csr_and_sustainability_rep_en.pdf
- Datamonitor (2009) ‘Consumer Goods Global Industry Guide’, http://www.marketresearch.com/Datamonitor-v72/Consumer-Goods-Global-Guide-2510090/view-toc/
- De Brito, M. P., Carbone, V. and Blanquart, C. M. (2008) ‘Towards a sustainable fashion retail supply chain in Europe; Organisation and performance’, International Journal of Production Economics’ Vol. 114, pp.534-553.
- Deloitte(2012) ‘Global Powers of Retailing 2012’, http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-Global/Local%20Assets/Documents/Consumer%20Business/dtt_CBT_GPRetailing2012.pdf
- Department of Trade and Industry (2004) ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’, www.berr.gov.uk/files/file48771.pdf
- European Commission (2011) ‘A renewed EU strategy 2011-2014 for corporate Social Responsibility’, http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newsroom/cf/_getdocument.cfm?doc_id=7010
- Fliess, B., Lee, H-J., Dubreuil, O.L. and Agatiello, O. (2007) ‘CSR and Trade: Informing consumers about Social and Environmental Conditions of globalised Production: Part I’, OECD Trade Policy Working Papers, N0.47, http://www.oecdilibrary.org/oecd/content/workingpaper/246322000033
- French, D. A. (2002) ‘The role of the state and international organisations in reconciling sustainable development and globalisation’, International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Laws and Economics, Vol. 2 pp.135-150.
- Friedmann, M. (1982) ‘Capitalism and Freedom’, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill.
- Forum for the Future (2011) ‘Fashion Futures 2025’, http://www.forumforthefuture.org/sites/default/files/project/downloads/fashionfuturespresentationpdf.pdf
- Godfrey, P.C. and Hatch N.W. (2007) ‘Researching Corporate Social Responsibility: an Agenda for the 21st Century’, Journal of Business Ethics, 70, pp. 87-98
- Girod, S. and Michael, B. (2003) ‘Branding in European Retailing: A corporate social responsibility perspective’, European Retail Digest, Vol. 38, pp. 1-6.
- Henderson, D. (2001), ‘The Case Against Corporate social Responsibility’, Policy, Vol.17 No.2, pp.28-32.
- Hopkins, M. and Crowe, R. (2003), ‘Corporate Social Responsibility: Is there a Business Case?’ www.accaglobal.com/pdfs/members_pdfs/publications/csr03.pdf
- Jones, P., Comfort, D. and Hillier, D. (2006) ‘Corporate social responsibility and the UK construction industry’, Journal of Corporate Real Estate, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp.134-150.
- Kitchin, T. (2003), ‘Corporate social responsibility: A brand explanation’, The Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 10 No.4-5, pp.312-326.
- Middlemiss, N. (2003), ‘Authentic not cosmetic: CSR as brand enhancement’, The Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 10 No.4-5, pp.353-61.
- Moir, L. (2001), ‘What do We Mean By Corporate Social Responsibility?’ Corporate Governance, Vol. 1 No. 2, pp.16-22.
- Piercy, N. F. and Lane, N. (2009) ‘Corporate social responsibility: impacts on strategic marketing and customer value’, The Marketing Review, Vol. 8, no. 4, pp.335-360.
- Porter, M. E. and Kramer, M. R. (2006), ‘Strategy and Society: The Link Between Competitive Advantage and Social Responsibility’; Harvard Business Review, Vol.84 No.12, pp.78-92.
- Sadler, D. (2004), ‘Anti-corporate Campaigning and Corporate Social Responsibility: Towards Alternative Spaces of Citizenship?’ Antipode, Vol. 36 No. 5, pp.851-869.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill, A. (2007), ‘Research Methods for Business Studies’, Prentice-Hall, Harlow.
- Werner, W. and Chandler, D. B. (2011) ‘Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility’, Sage, Thousand Oaks, California.
THE WORLD’S TOP TEN FASHION GOODS RETAILERS’ WEB SITE ADDRESSES
- Macy’s http://www.macys.com/
- TJX http://www.tjx.com/
- Kohl’s http://www.kohlscorporation.com/AboutKohls/AboutKohls01.htm
- J.C. Penney http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/default.aspx
- Inditex http://www.inditex.com/en
- LVMH http://www.lvmh.com/
- H&M http://www.hm.com/gb/
- Gap http://www.gap.com/
- Isetan http://www.imhds.co.jp/english/index.html
- Limited Brands http://www.limitedbrands.com/