corporate social responsibility, gold mining companies, gold production, Ghana
There has been large scale gold mining in Ghana for at least the last one hundred years. The mining companies with the passage of time have moved from being concerned only with profit making to â€˜doing well by doing goodâ€™. For some years now the gold mining companies have made some contributions to the communities in which they work. This study focused on the corporate social responsibility activities of these companies with respect to the governance structure put in place and the funds allocated for such activities. The study found that the Ghana Chamber of Mines in reporting the expenditure its members made on corporate social responsibility activities added cost elements which do not qualify to be referred to as corporate social responsibility. The funds set aside for social corporate responsibility were very small and could not bring about a meaningful change in the communities. Also, the companies operated various governance modules with different levels of community participation. The study recommends among others that the Ghana Chamber of Mines establishes a CSR Index to encourage its members to do more in that area. There is also the need for more transparency in the accounting of CSR expenditures. The companies are also to allocate more funds for social corporate responsibility.
Full Text : PDF
- Adamus Resources Ltd. (2010) Community Social Responsibility Update, Perth, Western Australia, Friday, 5 November 2010.
- Boon, E.K., Ababio, F. (n.d) Corporate Social Responsibility in Ghana: Lessons from the Mining Sector, not dated.
- Rionda, Z.L., Baird V., Kramer, Christina, Wofford, D. (2002) What Is Corporate Social Responsibility? 8 Questions & Answers, Catalyst Consortium, July 2002.
- Commission of the European Communities, (2001) Promoting a European Framework for Corporate Social Responsibilities, COM 366 ﬁnal, Brussels.
- Asian-Oceanian Computing Industry Organization, (2004) Corporate Social Responsibility, ASOCIO Policy Paper, June 2004,
- Draft National Mining Policy of Ghana, 2010
- Ghana National Commission for UNESCO, not dated.
- Hilson, G. (2001) A Contextual Review of the Ghanaian Small-scale Mining Industry, Imperial College Centre for Environmental Technology, London, UK, September 2001, No. 76
- Hill, G., Potter, C. (2005) Structural Adjustment and Subsistence Industry: Artisanal Gold Mining in Ghana, Development and Change, Institute of Social Studies, 2005
- http:// www.citifmonline.com/index.php?id=1.386972 assessed 6th May, 2013
- http://goldprice.org/ assessed on 23rd October, 2011
- http://www.adamusresources.com.au, assessed on 20th October, 2011
- http://www.goldfields.co.za/, assessed on 22nd October, 2011
- http://www.gsr.com/, assessed on 22nd October, 2011
- http://www.kinross.com/operations/operation-chirano-ghana.aspx, assessed on 22nd October, 2011
- http://www.newmont.com, assessed on 20th October, 2011
- http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/gold-mining-production-costs/2201, assessed on 23rd October, 2011
- Idowu, S.O. and Papasolomou, I. (2007) Are the corporate social responsibility matters based on good intentions or false pretences? An empirical study of the motivations behind the issuing of CSR reports by UK companies, Corporate Governance, Vol. 7 No. 2 2007, pp. 136-147
- Mining Journal Special Publication – Ghana March 2010
- Newmont Mining Corporation, (2009) Community Relationship Review, Global Summary Report, March 2009
- Porter, M.E. and Kramer, M.R. (2006) Strategy and Society; The link between Competitive Advantage and Corporate Social Responsibility, Harvard Business Review, Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation
- The Ghana Chamber of Mines, Factoid 2008
- The Ghana Chamber of Mines, Factoid 2011
- The Ghana Chamber of Mines, Performance of the Mining Industry in 2009
- The Ghana Chamber of Mines, Publish what you Pay – 2008
- State Lands Act, Act 125
- Zhang, F. (2008) Corporate Social Responsibility in Emerging Markets: The Role of Multinational Corporations, The Foreign Policy Centre, 2008.