Corporate governance, Code of Best Practice and governance structure
The study evaluates corporate governance practices among selected non-financial quoted firms across industries and analysed the level of compliance with the 2003 code of best practices in Nigeria. A data set on corporate governance mechanism was obtained from the firmsâ€™ annual reports, the publication of the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) as well as the website of the firms and analysed using descriptive analysis. A corporate governance index was constructed to represent Nigerian corporate governance standard and listed firms were ranked according to the index. The results showed that firms observed between 2003 and 2010 have embedded corporate governance initiatives with an average compliance level of 72.15 percent and a growth rate of 5.83 percent. While the analysis showed a structural shift in corporate governance structure, a slow-down in change of corporate governance practice among firms in Nigeria was however observed.
Full Text : PDF
- Ademola, Oyejide T and Soyibo. A (2001) . “Corporate Governance in Nigeria”. Development Policy Center Ibadan, Nigeria. Paper presented at the conference on corporate governance in Accra Ghana, 29-30
- Adetunji Babatunde M. and Olawoye Olaniran (2009) “The effects of internal and External Mechanisms on Governance and Performance of Corporate Firm Nigeria” Corporate Ownership and Conrol/ Vo/ 7, issue 2 winter 2009
- Anderson, R.S, Mansi, and D Reeb. (2004) “Board Characteristics, Accounting Report Integrity and the Cost of Debt” Journal of accounting and Economics, 37 pp.315-42
- Andre,Paaul, Maher Kooli and Jean- Francosis L’ Her (2004). The Long run performance of mergers and acquisitions: evidence from the Canadia stock Market Financial Management 33, pp 27-43
- Cadbury A 1992. The Code of Best Practice, Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspect of Corporate Governance. London: Gee and Co Ltd. Code of Corporate Governance in Nigeria (2003)
- Guriev, Sergei, Olga Lazareva, Andrei Rachinsky, Serguei soukhlo,(2003),“Corporate Governance in Russian Industry,” CEFIR Working Paper No. 32
- Habeeb A.Quadri (2010). : Conceptual Framework for Corporate Governance in Nigeria- Challenge and Panaceas”. PM World Today- September 2010 Vol. xii issue ix
- Haniffa, R. and Hudaib, M (2006) “Corporate Governance Structure and Performance Malaysian Listed Companies. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting 33 (7-8) pp. 1034-1062
- Hart Oliver (1983) “The market Mechanism as an Incentive Scheme. Bell journal of Economics, 14 issue 2, pp. 366-382
- Hart, Oliver (1995) “Corporate Governance: Some Theory and Implications” The Economic Journal, Vol. 105 issue 430, pp678-698.
- Hawley, J. P. and Williams A. I. (1996) Corporate Governance in the United States: The of Fiduciary Capitalism, Working Paper, Saint Mary College of California School of Economics and Business Administration.
- History lesson: Cadbury 1992 © The National Computing Centre 2010
- Jensen, M. C. (1993) The modern industrial revolution, exit, and the failure of internal control systems, Journal of Finance, 48, 831-880.
- Lipton, M. and Lorsch, J. W. (1992) A modest proposal for improved corporate governance, Business Lawyer, 48, 59- 77.
- Nigerian Stock Exchange Website, (2010)
- Security and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) Report (2013), consultative paper on review of corporate governance Norms in India
- The Investments and Securities Act (“new ISA”) June 2007
- Zelenyuk. V Zheka .V (2006) “Corporate Governance and Firms Efficiency: The case of Transitional Country, Ukraine” Journal of Productivity Analysis. V.25 Number1/2 pp.143-169
- Zelenyuk. V Zheka .V (2006) “Corporate Governance and Firms Efficiency: the case of Transitional Country, Ukraine” Journal of Productivity Analysis. V.2 Number1/2 pp.143-169