Family control, internal control, firm performance
The majority of companies listed on IDX are family companies, which have several advantages and disadvantages that affect firm performance. The results of previous studies on the influence of family firms are still inconsistent.
This study aims at determining the effect of family control as measured by family ownership and family involvement on the corporate performance; and describing the influence of internal control as performed by independent commissioner and audit committee on the performance of family firms with the control variables are firm size and firm age. The population of this study was all family companies listed on the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX). Meanwhile, the sample used was purposive sampling. There were 76 companies from the entire family companies listed on the Indonesian Stock Exchange (IDX) from 2010 to 2014 which met the criteria so that the overall observed data were 380.
The analysis tool used was a multiple linear regression. The results show that partially, family ownership, independent commissioner and the control variables, firm size and age, have a positive and significant impact on the firm performance. On the other hand, respectively, family involvement and audit committee have a significantly negative and insignificantly negative impact on the performance of the company.
Full Text : PDF
- Abor, J. and Biekpe, N., 2007. Corporate governance, ownership structure and performance of SMEs in Ghana: implications for financing opportunities. Corporate Governance: the international journal of business in society, 7(3), pp.288-300.
- Anderson, R.C. and Reeb, D.M., 2003. Founding‐family ownership and firm performance: evidence from the S&P 500.The journal of finance,58(3), pp.1301-1328.
- Demsetz, H. and Lehn, K., 1985. The structure of corporate ownership: Causes and consequences. Journal of political economy, 93(6), pp.1155-1177.
- Dyanty, V., Utama, S., Rossieta, H. and Veronica, S., 2012. The effect of controlling ownership to the related party transaction. Paper of National Accounting Symposium SNA XV.
- Farida, Y.N., Prasetyo, Y. and Herwiyanti, E., 2010. The influence of corporate governance implementations towards earnings management of banking industries listed in Indonesia Stock Exchange over the period 2005-2007.Journal of Business and Accounting,12(2), pp.69-80.
- Giovannini, R., 2010. Corporate governance, family ownership and performance. Journal of Management and Governance, 14(2), pp. 145-166.
- Hofstede, G., 2003. Culture’s Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions, and Organizations Across Nations. Sage Publications.
- Hundal, S., 2013. Independence, Expertise and Experience of Audit Committees: Some Aspects of Indian Corporate Sector. American International Journal of Social Science, 2 (5).
- Jaggi, B. and Gul, F.A., 1999. An analysis of joint effects of investment opportunity set, free cash flows and size on corporate debt policy. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting,12(4), pp.371-381.
- Lee, J., 2006. Family firm performance: Further evidence. Family business review,19(2), pp.103-114.
- Memom, M.A. and Tahir, T.M., 2012. Performance analysis of manufacturing companies in Pakistan. Business Management Dynamics,1(7), pp.12-21.
- Martínez, J.I., Stöhr, B.S. and Quiroga, B.F., 2007. Family ownership and firm performance: Evidence from public companies in Chile. Family Business Review, 20(2), pp.83-94.
- Pathan, S., Skully, M. and Wickramanayake, J., 2007. Board size, independence and performance: an analysis of Thai banks. Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,14(3), pp.211-227.
- Prabowo, M. and J. Simpson, 2011. Independent directors and firm performance in family controlled firms: evidence from Indonesia. Asian‐Pacific Economic Literature, 25(1), pp.121-132.
- Sanjaya, I.P.S., 2013. Family as The Ultimate Ownership Affects to Firm Performance. Sustainable Competitive Advantage (SCA),2(1).
- Shleifer, A. and Vishny, R.W., 1986. Large shareholders and corporate control.The Journal of Political Economy, pp.461-488.
- Villalonga, B. and Amit, R., 2006. How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?.Journal of financial Economics,80(2), pp.385-417.
- Ziaee, M., 2014. The effect of audit quality on the performance of listed companies in Tehran Stock Exchange. International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, (21), pp.36-43.