Financial Banking Stability, Commercial Banks, Sultanate of Oman
This study aims to explain the factors that have an effect on financial banking stability measured by Z- score as determinants of all six banks listed in MSM of Oman over the period 2008 to 2014. The four factors used are bank specific factor measured by income diversity and size of bank, banking sector measured by concentration in market and P/E ratio, macroeconomics factor measured by inflation and gross demotic product growth and external governance measured by size of government and regulation. This study used OLS regression analysis and shows there is a significant impact of income diversity variable and P/E ratio. Multiple regressions shows only specific bank and banking sector factors are significant. Finally, all independent factors are statistical impact on financial banking stability. The researcher recommends is to build system for detection of risks in the banking sector to maintain financial banking stability and mitigate the power crises.
Full Text : PDF
- Albulescu C., 2010. Forecasting Romanian Financial System Stability Using a Stochastic Simulation Model. Romanian Journal of Economic Forecasting, 13 (1), pp 81-98.
- Anginer D., Demirguc-Kunt A.and Zhu, M., 2012. How Does Bank Competition Affect Systemic Stability? Policy Research Working Paper No. 5981, The World Bank.
- Ariss, R. T., 2010. Competitive Conditions in Islamic and Conventional Banking: A Global Perspective. Review of Financial Economics, 19(3), pp101-108.
- Annual Companies Guide (2008-2015), "Muscat Security Market", Available online: https://www.msm.gov.om/ (accessed on 10 November 2014).
- Annual Report of Economic Freedom of the World (2015) Free the World. Com,, Fraser Institute, Available online: http://www.freetheworld.com (accessed on 11 January 2015).
- Berger A., Klapper L. and Turk-Ariss R., 2009. Bank Competition and Financial Stability. Journal of Financial Services Research, 35, pp 99–118.
- Boot A.W.A. and Thakor A., 2000. Can Relationship Lending Survive Competition? Journal of Finance, 55(2), pp679-713.
- Cetorelli N., Hirtle B., Morgan D., Peristiani, S. and Santos, J., 2007. Trends in Financial Market Concentration and their Implications for Market Stability. Federal Reserve Bank of New York Economic Policy Review, March, pp 33–51.
- Cukierman A., 2013. Monetary Policy and Institutions Before, During, and After the Global Financial Crisis. Journal Financial Stability, 9(3), pp 373–384.
- Fell J. and SchinasiG., 2005. Assessing Financial Stability: Exploring the Boundaries of Analysis. National Institute Economic Review, 192(1), pp102-117
- Gali J., 2014. Monetary Policy and Rational Asset Price Bubbles. American Economic Review, 104(3), pp721–752.
- Gan J., 2004. Banking Market Structure and Financial Stability: Evidence from the Texas Real Estate Crisis in the 1980s.Journal of Financial Economics, 73, pp567–601.
- Kato P. and Hagendorff J., 2010. Distance to Default, Subordinated Debt, and Distress Indicators in the Banking Industry "Accounting and Finance, 50(4), pp 853-870.
- Langrin B., 2002. An Early Warning System for the Prevention of Banking Sector Crises in Jamaica, " (Bank of Jamaica Working Paper).
- Stock J. H. and Watson M. W., 2002. Forecasting Using Principal Components from a Large Number of Predictors. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 97(460), pp 1167-1179.
- Statistical Bulletin (2008 -2014)."Central Bank of Oman", Available online : http://www.cbo-oman.org/ (accessed on 10 February 2016).
- Uhde A. and Heimeshoff U., 2009. Consolidation in Banking and Financial Stability in Europe: Empirical Evidence. Journal of Banking and Finance, 33(7), pp 1299-1311.
- Van den End JW., 2006. Indicator and Boundaries of Financial Stability.DNB Working Paper No. 97, March.