Service quality, differentiation strategy, competitive advantage, small and medium enterprises, South Africa
The purpose of this paper is to examine the impact of firm-created and user-generated social media brand communication on five consumer-based brand equity (CBBE) dimensions through Facebook on the Egyptian fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry.â€¨
This paper used quantitative approach, which consists of distributing, collecting, and analyzing large-scale questionnaire survey. Questionnaires were administered personally and electronically distributed. Data were collected from 400 customers based on quota sampling technique to cover the Egyptian population distribution and analyzed by using Structural Equation Modelling (SEM).
The results of our paper showed that firm-created social media brand communication has a significant positive direct impact on only four CBBE dimensions (brand awareness, brand perceived quality, brand associations and brand trust). Whereas user-generated social media brand communication has no significant impact on brand perceived quality, brand loyalty, and brand trust. Additionally, it has been found that user-generated social media brand communication has a negative impact on brand awareness and brand associations.
This paper adds to the body of knowledge by focusing on the impact of two different types of social media communication (firm-created and user-generated social media brand communication) on 5 CBBE dimensions (brand awareness, brand perceived quality, brand associations, brand loyalty, and brand trust) in new context, which is the Egyptian FMCG industry. On the other hand, this paper provides vital information to the marketing specialists and brand managers to understand how CBBE dimensions could be built via two different types of social media communication.
Full Text : PDF
- Affirmative portfolios (nd.). Shortage of skilled workers versus the overflow of unskilled labour in South Africa. [Online] Available at http://www.affirmativeportfolios.co.za/shortage-of-skilled-workers-versus-the-overflow-of-unskilled-labour-in-south-Africa/[ accessed 12 Jan. 2017].
- Anuar, A. and R. M, Yusuff (2011). Manufacturing best practices in Malaysian small and medium enterprises (SMEs). Benchmarking: An International Journal, [online] Volume 18 (3), pp. 324-341. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/14635771111137750 [Downloaded: 17 Jun. 2016].
- Badruldin, B., Z. Mohamed, J. Sharifuddin, G. Rezai, A. M. Abdullah, I. Abd Latif, and G. Mohayidin (2012). Clients' perception towards JAKIM service quality in Halal certification. Journal of Islamic Marketing, [online] Volume 3 (1), pp.59-71. Available at:
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17590831211206590 [accessed 4 Apr. 2016].
- Buttle, F. (2009). Customer relationship management: concepts and technologies. Oxford, UK: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Chenet, P., T. S. Dagger, and D. O’Sullivan (2010). Service quality, trust, commitment and service differentiation in business relationships. Journal of Services Marketing, [online] Volume 24 (5), pp. 336-346. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/08876041011060440 [accessed 20 Jun.2016].
- Chitty, W., A. Hughesand S. D’Allessandro (2012). Services Marketing, Victoria, AU: Oxford.
- Dessi, C., W. Ng, M. Floris, and S. Cabras (2014). How small family-owned businesses may compete with retail superstores. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, [online] Volume 21 (4), pp.668-689. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-02-2014-0025 [accessed 20 Jun. 2016].
- Douglas, A., J. Douglas, and. J. Davies (2010). Differentiation for competitive advantage in a small family business. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, [online] Volume 17 (3), pp. 371-386. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/14626001011068680 [accessed 20 May 2016].
- Edvardsson, I. R., and U. D. Teitsdóttir (2015). Outsourcing and financial crisis: evidence from Icelandic service SMEs. Employee Relations, [online] Volume 37 (1), pp. 33-47. Available at
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ER-11-2013-0168 [accessed 05 Feb. 2016].
- Festus, L., A. Kasongo, M. Moses and D. Yu (2016). The South African labour market, 1995–2015. Development Southern Africa, [online] Volume 33 (5), pp. 579-599. Available at
- DOI: 10.1080/0376835X.2016.1203759 [accessed 23 Jan. 2017].
- Gauteng Online, (2015). The Economy of Gauteng. Available at
- http://www.gautengonline.gov.za/Business/Pages/The Economy of Gauteng. aspx (accessed 18 Apr. 2016).
- Handrinos, M. C., Folinas, D. and K. Rotsios (2015). Using SERVQUAL model to evaluate the quality of services for a farm school store. Journal of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour in Emerging Markets, 1(1), pp. 62-74.
- Hernon, P. and E. Altman, (2010). Assessing service quality: satisfying the expectations of library customers, American Library Association.
- Lam, S., N. Lee, V., K. Ooi, and K. Phusavat (2012). A structural equation model of TQM, market orientation and service quality: evidence from a developing nation. Managing Service Quality, [online] Volume 22 (3), pp. 281-309. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09604521211230996 [accessed 18 Jun. 2016].
- Machado, R. and C. Diggines (2012). Customer Service. Cape Town: Juta.
- Moody’s Rating agency (2017). Moody’s downgrades SA. Available at
- http://www.fin24.com/Economy/full-statement-moodys-downgrades-sa-20170609 (accessed: 3 July 2017).
- Nekoei-Moghadam, M. and M. Amiresmaili (2011). Hospital services quality assessment: Hospitals of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, as a tangible example of a developing country. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, [online] Volume 24 (1), pp. 57-66. Available at
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09526861111098247 [accessed 17 Jun. 2016].
- Omarjee, L. (2017). Junk status hits entrepreneur confidence levels. Fin24. [Online] Available at
- Owusu-Frimpong, N. and S. Nwankwo (2012). Service quality orientation: an approach to diffusing mindfulness in SMEs. International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, [online] Volume 29 (6), pp.681-698. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02656711211245665 [accessed 17 Jun. 2016].
- Sandhu, N., J. Hussain, and H. Matlay (2012). Entrepreneurship education and training needs of family business operating in the agricultural sector of India. Education and Training, 54(8/9), pp. 727-743.
- South African Reserve Bank. (2016). Press Statement of Monetary Policy Committee: 19 May 2016. Available at https://www.scribd.com/doc/313156346/Statement-of-the-Monetary-Policy-Committee [accessed 20 May 2016].
- Statistics SA. (2015). Employment, unemployment, skills and economic growth: an exploration of household survey evidence on skills development and unemployment between 1994 and 2014. Available at
- http://www.statssa.gov.za/presentation/Stats%20SA%20presentation%20on%20skills%20and%20unemployment_16%20September.pdf [accessed 23 Jan. 2017].
- Steenkamp, J-B.E.M. and H. Baumgartner (1998). Assessing measurement invariance in cross-national consumer research. Journal of Consumer Research, [online] Volume25 (1), pp. 78-107. Available at
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/209528 [accessed 20 May 2016].
- Strombeck, S. and S. Shu (2013). Modelling contextually elicited service quality expectations. Managing Service Quality, [online] Volume 24 (2), pp. 160-183. Available at
- 17104556andshow=htmland [accessed 17 Jun. 2016].
- Suki, N., J.C.C. Lian, and N. Mohd Suki (2011). Do patients' perceptions exceed their expectations in private healthcare settings? International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, [online] Volume 24 (1), pp. 42-56. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09526861111098238 [accessed 20 May 2016].
- Taneja, S., M. G. Pryor, and M. Hayek (2016). Leaping innovation barriers to small business longevity. Journal of Business Strategy, [online] Volume 37 (3), pp. 44-51. Available at
- http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JBS-12-2014-0145 [accessed 20 May 2016].
- Tseng, S. and P. Wu (2014). The impact of customer knowledge and customer relationship management on service quality. International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, [online] Volume 6 (1), pp. 77-96. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJQSS-08-2012-0014 [accessed 04 Apr. 2016].
- Wilson, A., V.A. Zeithaml,M.J. Bitner, and D.D. Gremler (2008). Services marketing: integrating customer focus across the firm. Berkshire, UK: McGraw-Hill.
- Zhang, M., Y. Xie., and Z. He (2014). Service quality evaluation of car rental industry in China. International Journal of Quality and Reliability and Management, [online] Volume 31 (1), pp. 82-102. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-11-2012-0146 [accessed 04 Apr. 2016].