Halal label, country of origin, purchase behavior, frozen food, imports
The research aimed to examine the influence of the halal label, and the role of country of origin as an independent variable and moderator variable on the purchase behavior of the imported frozen foods. The research was conducted in North Sumatera, and the measurement of respondent numbers was based on the sampling fraction from sub-districts in Medan. Data collected from 110 respondents with definite criteria. Analysis of the data was applied the moderate regression analysis. The results of the research found that the halal label had a positive and significant effect on the purchase behavior. Furthermore, the country of origin also had an effect on purchase behavior. The role of country of origin as a moderator variable had a positive and significant impact on the halal label and purchase behavior of the imported frozen food. The negative value of country of origin could reduce the impact of a halal labeling on purchase behavior of the imported frozen food . The country of origin as a "quasi"-moderator meant it could use it as an independent variable or moderator variable. The authors recommend that institutions issued the Halal certificate collaborate with LPPOM-MUI. This case intended to anticipate the suspicions of Muslim communities in Indonesia.
Full Text : PDF
- Abedniya, A. &. Z. M. N., 2011. The impact of country of origin and ethnocentrism as major dimensions in consumer purchasing behavior in the fashion industry. European Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Sciences, 21(4), pp. 22-41.
- Alserhan, B. A., 2010 . Islamic branding: A conceptualization of related terms. Journal of Brand Management, 18(1), pp. 34-49.
- Bonne, K. V. I. &. V. W., 2008. Impact of religion on halal meat consumption decision-making in Belgium. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, 21(1), pp. 5-26..
- Ha-Brookshire, J. &. Y. S. H., 2012. Country of origin factors influencing US consumers' perceived price for multinational products.. Journal of consumer marketing, 29(6), pp. 445-454.
- Hair, J. F. e. a., 2010. Multivariate Data Analysis. 7 th ed. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Islam, T. &. C. U., 2013. Halal Marketing: Growing The Pie. International Journal of Management Research and Review, 3(12), p. 3938.
- Kotler, P. a. A. G., 2006. Principles of Marketing. 11th ed. USA: Prentice -Hall.
- Lada, S. H. T. G. &. A. H., 2009. Predicting intention to choose halal products using theory of reasoned action. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 2(1), pp. 66-76.
- Lee, J. K. &. L. W. N., 2009. Country-of-origin effects on consumer product evaluation and purchase intention: The role of objective versus subjective knowledge. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 21(2), pp. 137-151.
- Malhotra, N. K., 2010. Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation. 6th ed. New Jersey: Pearson/Prentice Hall .
- Mukhtar, A. &. M. B. M., 2012. Intention to choose Halal products: the role of religiosity. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(2), pp. 108-120.
- Rezvani, S. S. G. D. G. J. S. M. N. N. &. S. S., 2012. Country of Origin: A Study over Perspective of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Cues on Consumers Purchase Decision. Business Management Dynamics, 1(11), pp. 68-75.
- Shaharudin, M. R. P. J. J. M. S. W. E. S. J. &. S. D. M., 2010. Purchase intention of organic food in Malaysia; A religious overview.. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 2(1), p. 96.
- Wilson, J. A. &. L. J., 2010. Shaping the Halal into a brand?. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 1(2), pp. 107-123..
- Keputusan bersama Menteri Kesehatan dan Menteri Agama RI No 427/Men.Kes/SKBMII/ 1985 (No.68 Tahun 1985) Tentang Pencantuman Tulisan Halal Pada Label Makanan.
- Peraturan Menteri Perdagangan Republik Indonesia Nomor 31 tahun 2011 tentang label pangan
- Badan Pusat Statistik 2015 [online] http://www.bps.go.id/ (accessed, March 2016)
- CIA’s World Factbook 2013 [online]
- https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html (accessed March 2016)
- Halalmui.org (accessed February 2016)
- Pew Research Center. The Future of the Global Muslim Population: Projections for 2010 until 2030, The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, Washington, DC. 2011.
- [online]http://www.pewforum.org/the-future-of-the-globalmuslimpopulation.aspx (accessed February 2016)