Employee Engagement, Organizational Climate, Reward and Punishment, Risk-Taking Educational Staff
Higher education is critical to economic success and long-term sustainability of Indonesia; a country in the South-East Asia region that is facing several challenges of economic growth and human capital capability, by employee engagement term. This study aims at determining the impact and the influence of the organizational climate on employee engagement. The study was from 50 educational staffs (staff, managers and school administrator) in the School of Business and Management.The employees are in the engaged state, whether they have deliver best performance, put out the best ideas, have a sincere commitment to the success of the organization and are willing to stay with the organization in the long term. The methodology used in this study is a mixed method, which to obtain more comprehensive objective analysis.The results show that organizational climate is one of the determining factors of employee engagement. Meanwhile, when it addresses partially from the eighth dimension that is in the organizational climate, there are the dimensions of rewards and punishments, risk-taking and identity of the organization that have a significant effect in creating employee engagement.
Full Text : PDF
- Aishwarya, B.&Ramasundarum, G. (2011). Working Hours as an Influencing Factor Towards Workfamily Conflict of Women Employees in IT Sector of Chennai City. Tecnia Journal of Management Studies, 6 (2): 35-39
- Albrecht, S. L., & Albrecht, S. (2010). Handbook of employee engagement. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited.
- Bakker, A. B., Albrecht, S. L., & Leiter, M. P. (2011). Key questions regarding employee engagement. European journal of work and organizational psychology, 20(1), 4-28.
- Bogler, R., & Somech, A. (2004). Influence of teacher empowerment on teachers’ organizational commitment, professional commitment and organizational citizenship behavior in schools. Teaching and teacher education, 20(3), 277-289.
- Creswell, J. W. (2010). Mapping the developing landscape of mixed methods research. SAGE handbook of mixed methods in social & behavioral research, 2, 45-68.
- Ellucian (2013). Empowering Employees: The state of employee engagement and student retention.
- Gallup (2017). The Engaged University. Gallup Higher Education Employee Engagement.
- Holloway, J. B. (2012). Leadership behavior and organizational climate: An empirical study in a non-profit organization. Emerging Leadership Journeys, 5(1), 9-35.
- Kanten, P. and Ulker, E.F. (2013). The Macrotheme Review: A multidisciplinary journal of global macro trends. The Effect of Organizational Climate on Counterproductive Behaviors: An Empirical Study on the Employees of Manufacturing Enterprises, University, School of Tourism and Hotel Management, Burdur, Turkey.
- Nowack, K. (2006). Employee engagement, job satisfaction, retention and stress. Retrieved from: www.envisialearning.com, accessed during April 2011
- Permarupan, P. Y, Roselina, A.S, Kasimc, R.A, Balakrishnan, B.K.P.D. (2013). The Impact of Organizational Climate on Employee’s Work Passion and Organizational Commitment. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 107 (2013) 88 – 95
- Robertson‐Smith G., Markwick, C. 2009. Employee Engagement A review of current thinking. Institute for Employment Studies . University of Sussex Campus Brighton. UK
- Saks, A. M. (2006). Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement. Journal of managerial psychology, 21(7), 600-619.
- Schaufeli, W. B., Salanova, M., González-Romá, V., & Bakker, A. B. (2002). The measurement of engagement and burnout: A two sample confirmatory factor analytic approach. Journal of Happiness studies, 3(1), 71-92.
- Simamora, H. (1997), Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia , Yogyakarta; STIE. YKPN
- Steers, R. M., Ungson, G. R., & Mowday, R. T. (1985). Managing effective organizations. Kent Pub. Co.
- Suarez, E.P., Muniz, J., Alvarez-Campilo, A., and Cueto-Garica, E. (2013).Assessing organizational climate: Psychometric properties of the CLIOR Scale, Universidad de Oviedo and, Eduardo Fonseca-PedreroUniversidad de La Rioja Psicothema 2013, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp: 137-144doi: 10.7334/psicothema2012.260; ISSN 0214 - 9915 CODEN PSOTEG
- Sugiyono. (2011). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif Kualitatif dan R&D. Bandung
- Wasilowski, S. (2016). Employee Engagement in Higher Education: The financial impact of engagement in highereducation. Retrieved from https://works.bepress.com/stuart_wasilowski/12/download/, accessed September 2017
- Widodo, F. A. S., & Sami’an, M. (2013). Hubungan Employee Engagement dengan Perilaku Produktif Karyawan. Jurnal Psikologi Industri dan Organisasi, 2(1).
- Woodruffe, C. (2006) "The crucial importance of employee engagement", Human Resource Management International Digest, Vol. 14 Issue: 1, pp.3-5, https://doi.org/10.1108/09670730610643891