Retail sector, productivity growth, efficiency changes, technical progress, panel data
This paper analyzes the efficiency and productivity growth of the Spanish retail sector from an aggregate sectoral perspective from 1995 to 2004. The primary interest is on individual comparisons within the Spanish retail sector. For this purpose, DEA methodology is proposed. To test this proposal, a study was carried out using both cross-sectional and panel data. The results obtained in this study confirm that efficiency declined from 1995 to 2004. But, when the role of time is considered, the behavior of the efficiency distribution is different. Productivity growth increased at an average rate of 0.8% per annum over the entire period in the retail sector and, the determinants of the variation in productivity growth will be analyzed here.
Full Text : PDF
- Banker Rajiv D., Charnes Abraham, Cooper William W. (1984), Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis. Management Science; 30(2): 1078–1092.
- Barros Carlos P. Efficiency in Hypermarket retailing: A stochastic from frontier model. International Review of Retail Distribution and Consumer Research 2005; 15 (2):171-189.
- Barros Carlos P., Alves Carlos A(2004), An empirical analysis of productivity growth in a Portuguese retail chain using Malmquist productivity index. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services; 11(5):269-278.
- Charnes Abraham, Clark C.T., Cooper William W., Golany B.(1985) A development study of data envelopment analysis in measuring the efficiency of maintenance units in the U.S. air forces. Annals of Operation Research, 2:95-112
- Charnes Abraham, Cooper William W., Rhodes E.(1978) Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European Journal of Operational Research 1978; 2:429-444.
- Coelli Tim J. A guide to DEAP Version 2.1, a data envelopment analysis (computer) program. University of New England, Centre of Efficiency and Productivity Analysis 1996; Working Paper 96/08
- Cullinane Kevin, Ji Ping, Wang T.(2005) The relationship between privatization and DEA estimates of efficiency in the container port industry. Journal of Economics and Business, 57:433-462
- De Jorge, J.(2006) Regional regulation analysis of performance of Spanish retailing. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 34 (10):773-793
- De Jorge , J. (2008) “Productivity growth, technical progress and efficiency change in Spanish retail trade (1995-2004): a disaggregated sectoral analysis”. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Research. 18 (1): 87-103.
- Donthu N, Yoo B. (1998), Retail productivity assessment using data envelopment analysis. Journal of Retailing. 1998; 74 (1): 89-105.
- Dubelaar C, Bhargava M, Ferrarin D.(2002) Measuring retail productivity: What really matters?. Journal Business Research, 55: 417-426.
- Färe R, Grosskopf S, Lee W.(2001) Productivity and technical change: the case of Taiwan. Applied Economics, 33: 1911-1925.
- Färe R, Grosskopf S, Lovel, C.A.K.(1994) Production frontiers. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Färe R, Grosskopf S, Yaisawarng Su, Li Sung K., Wang, Z.(1990) Productivity growth in Illinois Electric Utilities. Resources and Energy, 12: 383-398.
- Gattoufi S, Oral M, Reisman A.(2004), Data envelopment analysis literature: A bibliography update (1951-2001). Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 38: 159-229.
- Hjalmarsson L, Veiderpass A. (1992), Productivity in Swedish electricity retail distribution. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 94 (Suppl.):193-205.
- Malmquist Sten. Index numbers and indifference surfaces. Trabajos de Estadística 1953; 4: 209–242
- Price C. W., Weyman-Jones T.(1996) Malmquist indices of productivity change in the UK gas industry before and after privatisation. Applied Economics, 28: 29-39.
- Sellers-Rubio, R. and Mas-Ruiz, F.(2006), An empirical analysis of productivity growth in retail services: evidence from Spain, International Journal Service Industry Management. vol. 18; 1: 52-69
- Shephard, R. W.(1970), Theory of Cost and Production Frontiers. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton NJ.
- Silverman, B. W.(1986), Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Tulkens H, Van den Eeckaut P.(1995), Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects. European Journal Operation Research, 80: 474-499
- Walters D., Laffy D.(1996), Managing retail productivity and profitability. Macmilan Press, London.
- Wand M. P., Jones, M. C.(1994), Multivariate plug-in bandwidth selection. Computational Statistics, 9: 97–116.