Working capital, Inventory turnover in days, Average collection/payment period, Cash conversion cycle, Gross operating profitability
Purpose: The main objective of the study is to examine whether there is an effective management over components of working capital in the manufacturing sector of Pakistan.
Design/Methodology: Data is collected from the annual reports of 94 Pakistani non-financial firms listed on Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) for the period of 2011- 2016. Fixed Effects methodology is employed in the study after determining the best fit model through the Hausman test, and effectiveness of working capital management is gauged through the impacts on profitability of the firm.
Findings: The results show that inventory turnover, average collection period and cash conversion cycle have an insignificant relationship with profitability, indicating that working capital management (WCM) is not important in the manufacturing sector. It appears levels of current assets are maintained to support current ratio and solvency to sustain the high levels of debt financing. However, average payment period has a significant negative association with profitability demonstrating that firms may be managing working capital through payables, where reduction in payables increase profitability through better trade and cash discounts and timely supplies. Therefore, it is evidenced that management focuses on the liabilities side of the WCM equation and maintains current assets for other purposes.
Practical implication: The results provide insights into manufacturing sector practice of maintaining levels of current assets as cushion against financial and operational risks, and the managing of working capital requirements through payables. It provides banks and other financial institutions a perspective into the working capital behavior of the manufacturing sector.
Originality statement: The paper provides innovative insights into the manufacturing sector practice of focusing on the current liabilities to manage working capital and maintaining levels of current assets as cushion against risk and to support borrowings. It suggests that in this sector, the conventional working capital practices are not applied.
Full Text : PDF
- Brigham, E., & Ehrhardt, M., 2002, 'Financial management theory and practice', tenth edition, Thomson Learning,South-Western, 5191 Natorp Boulevard, Mason, Ohio 45040, USA.
- Deloof, M., 2003, 'Does working capital management affect profitability of Belgian firms?',Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 573-588.
- Ding, S., Guariglia, A. & Knight, J., 2013,'Investment and financing constraints in China: Does
- working capital management make a difference?', Journal of Banking & Finance, 1490-1507.
- Enqvist, J., Graham, M.& Nikkinen, J., 2014,'The impact of working capital management on firm profitability in different business cycles: Evidence from Finland', Research in International Business and Finance, 36-49.
- Falope, O. I. & Ajilore O. T., 2009,'Working capital management and corporate profitability: evidence from panel data analysis of selected quoted companies in Nigeria', Reasearch Journal of Business Management, 73-84.
- Gill, A., Biger, N. & Mathur, N., 2010,'The relationship between working capital management and corporate profitability: evidence from the United States',Business and Economics Journal, 1-9.
- Gill, S.A. & Biger, N., 2013, 'The impact of corporate governance on working capital management effeciency of American manufacturing firms',Mangerial Finance, 116-132.
- Gracia-Teruel, J. P. & Martinez-Solano, P., 2007,'Effects of working capital management on SME
- profitability',International Journal of Managerial Finance, 164-177.
- Jose, M. L., Lancaster, C.& Stevens, J.L., 1996, 'Corporate returns and cash conversion cycle', Journal of Economics and Finance, 33-46.
- Kumaraswamy, S., 2016,'Impact of working capital mangement on financial performance of Gulf cooperation council firms', International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 1136-1142.
- Lazaridis, I. & Tryfonidis, D., 2006,'Relationship between working capital management and profitability of listed companies in the Athens stock exchange', Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, 26-35.
- Mansoor, E. & Dr. Muhammad., 2012, 'The effect of working capital management on firm's profitability: evidence from Singapore', Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 472-486.
- Marttonen, S., Monto, S.& Karri, T., 2013,'Profitable working capital management in industrial maintenance companies'. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 429-448.
- Mathuva, M . D., 2010,'The influence of working capiatl management components on corporate profitability: A survey on Kenyan listed firms',Research Journal of Business Management, 1-11.
- Nasreen, S., Khanam, F.& Pirzada, S. S., 2014,'Impact of working capital mangement on firm's profitability,Research Journal of Finance and Accounting,2222-2847.
- Orobia, A. L., Byabashaija, W., Munene, C. J., Sejjaaka, K. S.& Musinguzi, D., 2007,'How do small business owners manage working capital in an emerging economy?',Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 164-177.
- Ponsian, N., Chrispina, K., Tago, G.& Mkiibi, H., 2014,'The effect of working capital mangement on profitability',International Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, 347-355.
- Padachi, K., 2006,'Trends in working capital management and its impact on firms' performance: An analysis of Mauritian small manufacturing firms',International Review of Business Research Papers, 45-58.
- Pais, A. M.& Gama, M. P., 2015,'Working capital management and SMEs profitability: Portuguese evidence'. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 341-358.
- Raheman, A.& Nasr, M., 2007,'Working capital management and profitability-Case of Pakistani firms', International Review of Business Research Papers, 279-300.
- Raheman, A., Afza, T., Qayyum, A.& Bodla, A. M., 2010,'Working capital management and corporate performance of manufacturing sector in Pakistan',International Research Journal of Finance and Economics.
- Raza, Y. M., Bashir, M., Latif, K., Shah, S. T.& Ahmad, M., 2015,'Impact of working capital mangement on profitability: evidence from Pakistan oil sector',International Journal of Accounting and Financial Reporting, 2162-3082.
- Saghir, A., Hashmi, M. F.& Hussain, N. M., 2011,'Working capital management and profitability: Evidence from Pakistan firms',Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, Vol. 3, No. 8.
- Sharma, K. A.& Kumar, S., 2011,'Effect of Working Capital Management on Firm Profitability: empirical Evidence from India',Global Business Review, 159-173.
- Shin, H-H.& Soenen, L., 1998,'Effeciency of working capital management and corporate profitability',Financial Practice and Education, 37-45.
- Singh, P.H. & Kumar, S., 2014,'Working capital management: a literature review and research agenda',Quality Research in Financial Markets, 173-197.
- Wasiuzzaman, S., 2015,'Working capital and firm value in an emerging market',International Journal of Managerial Finance, 60-79.