Traditional retailing, modern retailing, consumer preferences
The aim of this study is to understand consumers’ choice and shopping preferences regarding retail format (traditional vs modern markets). Further, this study is conducted to understand the changes that are occurring in the consumers’ behaviour with respect to modern retailing and traditional retailing outlets. It is noted that due to change in demographics, and an increase in families’ income, urbanization, awareness through electronic and internet media has influenced the consumer behaviour to choose from modern retail outlets rather than the neighbourhood stores. Therefore, to empirically testing the phenomenon of retail format choice, a quantitative study is conducted by using a questionnaire. Collected data is analysed by using SPSS. Results has supported that there are fewer factors that favour traditional retailing and fewer which support modern retailing. However, the results show that there are many challenges that exist in modern markets and traditional markets based on consumer preferences.
Full Text : PDF
- Andrea, G. and Lopez, A. (2006). Why Small Retailers Endure in Latin America. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, vol. 34, no. 9, pp.661673.
- Arnold, S.J. and Luthra, M.L. (2000). Market Entry Effects of Large Format Retailers: A Stakeholder Analysis. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, vol. 48, no. 4/5.
- Arnold, S. J., Tae, O.H. and Tigert, D.J. (1983). Determinant Attributes in Retail Patronage: Seasonal, Temporal, Regional, and International Comparisons. Journal of Marketing Research, vol. 20, pp. 149-157.
- Baker, J., Parasuraman, A., Grewal, D., & Voss, G. B. (2002). The influence of multiple store environment cues on perceived merchandise value and patronage intentions. Journal of Marketing, 66(2), 120-141.
- Baumol, W. J. and E. A. Ide. (1956). Variety in Retailing. Management Science, vol. 3, pp. 93-101
- Carpenter, J.M. and Moore, M. (2006). Consumer Demographics, Store Attributes, and Retail Format Choice in the US Grocery Market. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 434-452.
- Davidson, S.M. and Rummel, A. (2000). Retail Changes Associated with Wal-Mart’s entry into Maine. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, vol. 28, no. 4/5, pp. 162-169.
- Dixit, S. (2011). Private Labels in India.An Analysis of Consumer Perception and Attitude.
- Eagle, T. (1984). Parameter Stability in Disaggregate Retail Choice Models: Experimental Evidence. Journal of Retailing, vol. 60, no.1, pp. 101-23.
- Farhangmehr, M., Marques, S. and Silva, J. (2000). Consumer and Retailer Perceptions of Hypermarkets and Traditional Retail Stores in Portugal. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, vol. 7, pp. 197-206.
- Forsythe, S. M., & Shi, B. ( 2003 ). Consumer patronage and risk perceptions in Internet shopping. Journal of Business Research, 56, 867– 875.
- Fox, E.J., Montgomery, A.L. and Lodish, L.M. (1994). Consumer Shopping and Spending Across Retail Formats. Journal of Business, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 825-860.
- Goldman, A., Krider, R. and Ramaswami, S. (1999). The Persistent Competitive Advantage of Traditional Food Retailers in Asia: Wet Market’s Continued Dominance in Hongkong. Journal of Macromarketing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 126-139.
- Hernandez, T. (2003). The Impact of Big Box Internationalization on A National Market: A Case Study of Home Depot Inc, in Canada. International Review of Retail, Distribution, and Consumer Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 77-98.
- H.V, M. (2014). Customer Perception Towards Traditional and Modern Retailing. International Journal of Business and Management Invention, 3(12), 62-65.
- Koul, S., & Mishra, H. G. ( 2013). Customer Perceptions For Store Retail Stores In India. Journal of Business & Economics, 5(1), 79-103.
- Sadiq, I. (2015). Economic Impact Of Retailing In Pakistan. International Conference on Business Management, 969-978.
- Schipmann, C., & Qaim, M. (2011). Modern food retailers and traditional markets in developing countries: Comparing quality, prices, and competition strategies in Thailand. GlobalFood Discussion Papers, 1-32.
- Sunanto, S. (2012). Modern Retail Impact on Store Preference and Traditional Retailers in West Java. Asian Journal of Business Research, 7-23.
- Sushmana. (2014). Consumer Perception Towards Organized And Unorganized Retailing:-A Prespective.International Journal of Advance Research in Education, Technology & Management, 1(3), 85-90.
- Vuuren,, T. V., Lombard, M. R., & Tonder, E. v. (2012). The Relationship Between Selected Variables And Customer Loyalty Within An Optometric Practice Environment.Acta Commercii , 94-113.