Environmental histories, Fuzzy set qualitative comparative analysis (fsQCA), Organizational histories, Platform-based transformation.
Driven by the new generation of digital intelligence technology, the platform economy has emerged as an important force to drive industrial development and enterprise growth, and how to improve the effectiveness of enterprise platform-based transformation has become an important issue. This paper uses a sample of 30 domestic listed enterprises and adopts the fuzzy set qualitative comparative analysis (fsQCA) method to select six representative factors from two dimensions, namely environment, and organization, to explore the effect of the grouping effect on the effectiveness of platform transformation of enterprises. The study found that there are three ways to help companies achieve high platform transformation effectiveness, namely digital level + managerial cognitive ability, digital level + resource allocation ability, and government support + resource allocation ability, as well as three paths that lead to low platform transformation performance. The findings suggest that companies can, on the one hand, strive to improve certain key elements and move towards similar paths according to their circumstances, or, on the other hand, make organizational changes to shift to favorable paths and avoid unfavorable ones. This study not only extends the theoretical research on the impact paths of platform-based transformation but also provides valuable references on how companies can develop platform-based transformation strategies.
Full Text : PDF
- Bao Y. Z. (2017). The platform transformation of distributors, China Real Estate, 2017(20):20-22.
- Benlian A., Kettinger W. J., Sunyaev A. (2018). The transformative value of cloud computing: a decoupling, platformization, and recombination theoretical framework, Journal of management information systems, 35(3): 719-739.
- Chen Q. J., Wan, M. F., Wang, Y. M. (2021). The impact of digital technology application on dual innovation in firms - an empirical test based on organizational life cycle, Soft Science, 2021,35(11):92-98.
- Ciborra, C.U. (1996). The Platform Organization: Recombining Strategies Structures and Suzrprises, Organization Science, 7(2):103-118.
- Dai N., Qian C., Zhao X., Wei Y. F. (2020). Analysis of the transformation process of platform-based strategy of manufacturing enterprises-based on dynamic capability perspective, Management Modernization ,40(01):29-31.
- Dal Zotto C, Omidi A.(2020). Platformization of media entrepreneurship: A conceptual development[J]. Nordic Journal of Media Management, 2020, 1(2): 209-233.
- Deng S. J. (2010). Top management perceptions and the evolution of dynamic corporate capabilities, Fudan University, 2010.
- Du Y, Z., Jia L. D. (2017). Group perspective and qualitative comparative analysis (QCA): a new path for management research, Management World, 2017(06):155-167.
- Fan X. J., Li C. Q. (2018). A comparative study on the transformation of hierarchical organizations to platform-based organizations, Business Economics, (09):103-106.
- Gjosh D., Olsen L. (2009). Environmental Uncertainty and Managers' Use of Discretionary Accruals, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 34(2):188- 205.
- Guo Q., Wang T. (2021). Jointly promoting the transformation and development of human resources service industry platform, Macroeconomic Management, (01):57-64.
- Han M. Y. (2017). Research on the evolutionary path of transformation of traditional section-based organizations to platform-based organizations--a case study of Haier's platform-based transformation, China Human Resource Development, (03):114-120.
- Helmond A. (2015). The platformization of the web: Making web data platforms ready, social media+ society, 1(2): 2056305115603080.
- Jia P. R. (2019). Exploring the path of traditional enterprises' transformation to platform-based operation, China Market, (17):71-73.
- Jiang J. H., Wang F. Q. (2017). The innovation path of O2O business model and its evolution mechanism--a case study of the platform transformation of Pinsent Masons, Management Review, 29(09):249-261.
- Jing R. T., Zhao Y. (2016). Platform organizations: Rethinking the boom, Tsinghua Management Review, (09):33-38.
- Liu Q Z. (2016). Difficulties and pain points of traditional media platform transformation, Sound and Screen World, (10):61-62.
- Li C. G., Chen C., Mao C., Liu D.(2014). Measuring strategic alignment and its impact on performance from the perspective of resource allocation, China Management Science, 22(11):19-26.
- Peng S. Y. (2017). Research on the mechanism of transformation and upgrading of the manufacturing industry under the threshold of platform economy, Social Science Front, (07):258-261.
- Piao Q. X., Sun X. B., Su Z. H., Dong L. Y., Zhang J. L. (2020). Research on the mechanism of smart manufacturing platform-based transformation process of manufacturing enterprises, Journal of Management, 17(06):814-823.
- Shen H. H, Yu P. (2012). Uncertainty in state-owned equity environment and investment efficiency, Economic Research, (7):113-126.
- Sheng Y. H., Jiang H. Q. (2018). Research on the relationship between technological diversification and corporate performance of high-tech enterprises-the moderating role of dynamic capabilities, Industrial Technology Economics, 37(02):13-21.
- Tang Z. Y. (2020). Connection ability - the core competitiveness of traditional media platform transformation, Media, (22):62-63.
- Wang S., Xu J. X. (2019). On the platform-based transformation of traditional media, News Lovers, (07):51-55.
- Xu Q. R., Li Y., Wu P. B. (2019). How comprehensive innovation drives organizational platform transformation--a case study based on three major platforms of Haier Group, Journal of Zhejiang University (Humanities and Social Sciences Edition), 49(06):78-91.
- Yasemin, Y. K., Mesko, A. (2013). Dynamic Managerial Capabilities: Configuration and Orchestration of Top Executives'Capabilities and the Firm's Dominant Logic, Strategic Management Journal, 34(2):233-244.
- Zuo M. Z. (2020). Analysis of platform transformation of FMCG industry in the new era, China Business Journal, (05):3-5.